The Garrison Of Inversnaid
Inversnaid Garrison (1 of only 4 built at that time in Scotland with its footprint almost exactly as Ruthven Barracks) was built in 1719 by the Duke of Montrose for housing English soldiers to fight the 1715 Jacobite rising and the infamous Rob Roy MacGregor. The position of the fort is on a knowe overlooking the old pass from Loch Katrine to Loch Lomond at the confluence of the Snaid and Arklet to control the comings and goings along the famous Garrison Walk military path.
Legend has it that just before completion the builders were sitting round a fire one evening when a knock was heard on the door. When they answered, a band of MacGregors burst in, piled up all the construction wood, sent the builders off into the night and set fire to the place.
It was a three storey building, built round a central parade ground, this can still be seen with the barn position adjacent to the ruins and the holiday let wall formed the external parade ground wall. The current Garrison Farmhouse is what would have been the guardhouse with the same building on the opposite corner of the ruins being the bake house.
The Garrison used to be the setting for the Inversnaid Sheepdog Trials and was once a 'type of inn' for travellers to the highlands.